Two of the eight tracks contain the f-word in the title, and Linda Perry doesnâ€™t scrimp on saucy language and pulse racing observations throughout 8 Songs (released March 22 on Perryâ€™s own Custard label). But Perryâ€™s first new band since 4 Non Blondes isnâ€™t provocative for the sake of it. Thereâ€™s real feeling behind the f-bombs, tears inside an utterance of â€œstupid bitch,â€ and ultimately the pain of knowing that what you want will never be. Itâ€™s a heck of a debut, and Tony Tornay (Fatso Jetson) proves a great foil for Perryâ€™s ever-skilled pen and split-open vocals. Like any interesting relationship, the journey from nostril-flaring first spark to sad ending is a curious rocket ride sure to hit a nerve with anyone whoâ€™s ever really, really wanted someone they couldnâ€™t have.
After years of penning high quality material for the likes of Pink and Christina Aguilera, Perry has reemerged with a project thatâ€™s utterly personal yet strangely universal and chockablock with raw rock spirit. Itâ€™s the kinda slab that almost makes you wish sheâ€™d get her heart kicked around a little more just so the second album is just as fucking cool and immediate. But really, we wouldnâ€™t wish that on anyone, especially a musician we really dig.
We got Linda and Tony to dip their little toe into our swampy questions.
- Favorite dirty word or expression?
- Linda: Fuck
Tony: Huffing dong
- One of the grossest things I’ve encountered while touring isâ€¦
- Linda: The food
Tony: The toilet on the bus overflowing and filling the lounge I was sleeping in.
- Besides sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll, what does a mind and body need?
- Linda: Juice
Tony: Frozen yogurt and carne asada burritos
- A filthy song I love isâ€¦
- Linda: Rick James: Rick Jamesâ€™ â€œSuper Freakâ€
Tony: 2 Live Crewâ€™s “Lets Get Buck Naked And Fuck”
- Groupie love â€“ good, bad, scary or what?
- Linda Perry: Depends
- Which would make you feel most unclean?
- Having your music used in a montage in a Kate Hudson/Sandra Bullock-style date movie
- Having it show up in the background of a celebrity sex tape
- Having it used to market erectile dysfunction medications
- Both: no comment
- One of my favorite dirty ass rock ‘n’ roll bands isâ€¦
- Linda: The Ramones
Tony: Queens Of The Stone Age