Two of the eight tracks contain the f-word in the title, and Linda Perry doesn’t scrimp on saucy language and pulse racing observations throughout 8 Songs (released March 22 on Perry’s own Custard label). But Perry’s first new band since 4 Non Blondes isn’t provocative for the sake of it. There’s real feeling behind the f-bombs, tears inside an utterance of “stupid bitch,” and ultimately the pain of knowing that what you want will never be. It’s a heck of a debut, and Tony Tornay (Fatso Jetson) proves a great foil for Perry’s ever-skilled pen and split-open vocals. Like any interesting relationship, the journey from nostril-flaring first spark to sad ending is a curious rocket ride sure to hit a nerve with anyone who’s ever really, really wanted someone they couldn’t have.
After years of penning high quality material for the likes of Pink and Christina Aguilera, Perry has reemerged with a project that’s utterly personal yet strangely universal and chockablock with raw rock spirit. It’s the kinda slab that almost makes you wish she’d get her heart kicked around a little more just so the second album is just as fucking cool and immediate. But really, we wouldn’t wish that on anyone, especially a musician we really dig.
We got Linda and Tony to dip their little toe into our swampy questions.
- Favorite dirty word or expression?
- Linda: Fuck
Tony: Huffing dong
- One of the grossest things I’ve encountered while touring is…
- Linda: The food
Tony: The toilet on the bus overflowing and filling the lounge I was sleeping in.
- Besides sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll, what does a mind and body need?
- Linda: Juice
Tony: Frozen yogurt and carne asada burritos
- A filthy song I love is…
- Linda: Rick James: Rick James’ “Super Freak”
Tony: 2 Live Crew’s “Lets Get Buck Naked And Fuck”
- Groupie love – good, bad, scary or what?
- Linda Perry: Depends
- Which would make you feel most unclean?
- Having your music used in a montage in a Kate Hudson/Sandra Bullock-style date movie
- Having it show up in the background of a celebrity sex tape
- Having it used to market erectile dysfunction medications
- Both: no comment
- One of my favorite dirty ass rock ‘n’ roll bands is…
- Linda: The Ramones
Tony: Queens Of The Stone Age