Before we encountered Buck 65’s music we had no idea what a truly filthy creature a centaur could be. Buck, or Richard Terfry if you’re his mama, has a knack for knotting his fingers into fleshy subject matter, though his observations south of the border (metaphorically speaking) often have an air of post-coital contemplation afloat in fading pheromones, cigarette smoke and booze vapors. Not so much pornographic as unhindered in his lustiness, Terfry excels at peeling away our layers to reveal the true impulses beneath our surfaces.
To some he’s an underground hip-hop champion, to others an artiste with an “e” with a way with high-minded concepts, and to others he’s simply one of the most original, uncategorizable musicians of the past few decades (count us in this last category). His latest album, 20 Odd Years (released March 29 on WEA International), gets a lil’ dirty in spots but also exhibits ample lover-man energy, too. Buck 65 thrives in contradiction’s choppy waters, and his new album amps up that churn with his most diverse-yet-well-realized musical settings yet. It’s a heck of a record and one that will take a fair while to unlock, as complex, thoughtful and healthily irreverent a work as any contemporary musician has mustered. And part of 20 Odd Years’ success is a fairly intense understanding of human sexuality and desire, perhaps the most convoluted, unpredictable part of us as a species, though in Terfry’s hands it doesn’t seem quite so confusing.
We cornered Buck to answer the Impound’s saucy seven, and will return next week with his answers to Impounded Inquiries.
- Favorite dirty word or expression?
- “Son of a whore.” My mother used that one a lot.
- One of the grossest things I’ve encountered while touring is…
- This one particular pile of garbage in Shanghai. A lot of it was organic so it smelled bad enough already, but it was a super-hot day which magnified it times ten. The icing on the cake is that there were three guys standing in it with rakes or something. They were stirring it around for whatever insane reason.
- Besides sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll, what does a mind and body need?
- My body seems to need Froot Loops. I can’t live without ’em. Maybe that counts as a drug…
- A filthy song I love is…
- ”Je T’Aime… Moi Non Plus” by Serge Gainsbourg. It’s so dirty, but also beautiful! He was good at that. He inspired me to try that with my song “Drawing Curtains”.
- Groupie love – good, bad, scary or what?
- I’ve seen every shade. I’ve had a few nightmares. But my wife started out as a fan, so maybe that’s as good as it can possibly get.
- Which would make you feel most unclean?
- Having your music used in a montage in a Kate Hudson/Sandra Bullock-style date movie
- Having it show up in the background of a celebrity sex tape
- Having it used to market erectile dysfunction medications
- I’d be kinda psyched to see my stuff show up in any of those contexts, actually. If you’re not already aware, I did the score/soundtrack for an X-rated French film called L’Histoire de Richard O. I consider that a real feather in my cap. Here’s a link to the trailer.
- One of my favorite dirty ass rock ‘n’ roll bands is…
- Six Finger Satellite. “Cock Fight” is one of my all-time favorite jams.