Itâ€™s a funny thing that songs about another person resonate with us on such a personal level. Even if itâ€™s not our name or the name of our specific beloved, we can still develop an intimate relationship with Lovely Rita, Dr. Wu, and scores of others – just another cool aspect of musicâ€™s enduring, hard-to-pin-down power. For the next few weeks the Impound will be sharing some of our favorite â€œnameâ€ songs. Itâ€™s a rich well and weâ€™ll do our best to bring up some nifty moniker based gems for you.
True story relating to this mix: Right before a campsite performance of â€œDannyâ€™s Song,â€ DI once witnessed John Hofer of The Mother Hips say to Nicki Bluhm and her duet partner on this cover hubby Tim Bluhm, â€œNothing too unicorn-y! The honeymoon is over!â€ Whiskey â€“ perhaps furnished by the Impound â€“ may have been a factor in Hoferâ€™s remarks, but it was kinda delightful that the Bluhms then sang a song that’s as unicorn-y â€“ an adjective that deserves far wider usage – as anything the 70s produced. Don’t try and tell a Bluhm what to do is perhaps the lesson here.
Listen to this mix HERE. Track listing below.
Whatâ€™s In A Name (Vol. 1) Track Listing
- Chelsea Rodgers â€“ Prince
- Mama Coco â€“ Gino Vannelli
- Along Came Mary â€“ The Association
- Lovely Rita â€“ Dave Cloud & The Gospel of Power
- Junkyard Julie â€“ The Rosewood Thieves
- Sara â€“ Dorian Small
- Maggie May â€“ Rod Stewart
- Dannyâ€™s Song â€“ Nicki Bluhm
- Raymond Chandler Evening â€“ Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians
- Goldie Hawn â€“ Butane Variations
- Magdalena â€“ Danny Oâ€™Keefe
- Doctor Wu â€“ Steely Dan
- Where Next, Columbus? â€“ Jeffrey Lewis
- Doctor Robert â€“ Luke Temple
- Cruel Jim â€“ Christine Fellows
- Kid Curry, 1904 â€“ Bob Frank & John Murry
- Doris Day â€“ The Felice Brothers
- Dear Dorothy â€“ Jesse Harris
- Steveâ€™s Hammer (For Pete) â€“ Steve Earle
- Liza Jane â€“ Veda Hille